Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday, April 25

Just for me.
Jesus did it, just for me. Just for you.
Just for each of us.

In the midst of the crowds today,
the noise of the people, the prayer calls, the footsteps,
the smells of cooking, of people, of old,
the blazing bright sun bouncing off beige-white limestone walls,
the cool damp oasis of walking into shade,
the bustling, bumping into passers-by, uneven stones under your feet.

In the midst of this sensory explosion,
each of us is an individual.
Each of us is precious.
Each one of us is fearfully and wonderfully made.

And for each one of us, God came to earth as a human.
For each one of us he walked to Calvary.
For each one of us he left the tomb, and rose again.

Today in St. Peter's Church, representational of the Last Supper, his 3 denials of Christ, I looked up at the mosaic over the altar. Jesus bound, being taunted by the religious leaders of the time. He is looking out at us, sitting in the church, with a look that says,'I am doing this for you. This is how much I love you.'

We just came from Mt of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane. Very crowded. 

The Garden ( perhaps) is elegantly fenced off, so you slowly walk around, looking in. 80 ft by 80 ft. 24 olive trees. Some old, twisty, gnarled. If not 2,000 years old, they are children of the trees here when Jesus came for shade and refuge from the bustling city.

We just came from contemplating Jesus ... on the night of his betrayal by Judas and the Pharisees. When he says, " your will be done" anyway. 

Then we recross the Kidron Valley , enter this ground. Where Jewish homes stood. Perhaps where the Upper Room of the last Supper was. Outside the City Walls of Jerusalem. 

Where Peter had told Him, 'I will never betray you.' Then He did. Three times. 

Jesus forgave. 
Regardless of how Peter stumbled.
Jesus forgives. He heals. He redeems. 
Regardless of how we stumble.

Just as He forgave Peter, and how Peter's faith was strengthened.. He forgives us already for the times we will turn our backs on Him.

What an awesome God. How can I not be thankful. From the bottom of my heart.

Second moment I remember, sitting on the main steps of the Second Temple. Many of those stones from Jesus' time are still there. These would be the steps that pilgrims would climb. Not even, intentionally uneven so you had to climb slowly, respectfully. The Psalms of Ascent were sung as you climbed up.

Third moment today, at the Western Wall. The Wailing Wall. Didn't know what I would feel as I approached this iconic spot. I haven't been overly moved by the man made structures of churches here. So crowded and commercial. So I didn't know what to expect.

Women separated to the right. Hugely high wall. Vast. Stretching up and up.

Walking up to it, with maybe 50 other women there, I was drawn to touch it. With my hand.  Who would have guessed. The women around me were leaning their foreheads forward against it praying. I lifted my arm up, palm flat against the warm limestone wall. Closed my eyes.

To join the prayers of thousands. ForMike, Mack, Tray, Corey. For all my family. For my friends. For me.

Very humbling. Thankful. And hopeful.

Good night Jerusalem. May God watch over you, coming and going. 

1 comment: