Thursday, February 28, 2013

Jacob / Israel ... the Promised Land

" Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”
Genesis 32:28

The name "Israel" means "struggle with God." The patriarch Jacob's name was changed to Israel after he wrestled with an angel of God. His twelve sons became the twelve tribes of Israel.  These Israelites migrated to Egypt during a famine, then returned four generations later led by Moses to this, their land, their Promised Land.

Who Promised this Land? God promised this land to Abraham.

"your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.  I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you.  I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.  The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.
Genesis 17:4-8

So this land was promised to the Israelites. For EVER. Promised to Abraham, and again his grandson to Jacob / Israel.


God appeared to him (Jacob) again and blessed him.  God said to him, “Your name is Jacob, but you will no longer be called Jacob; your name will be Israel.” So he named him Israel.
 And God said to him, “I am God Almighty; be fruitful and increase in number. A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will be among your descendants.  The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you.
Genesis 35:9-12



No comments:

Post a Comment