Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday April 28 photos Walking Jerusalem, flying home

Last of our bountiful breakfasts. Last of our Fruit slicer-men.

Taking the photo of the fruit, I heard a voice behind me say, "I'm vaiting, I'm vaiting." I turned around to see a waiter looking at me. I smiled at him, thinking he meant, humourously, that he was waiting for me to take his photo. As I am a quick photo-taker. I don't do alot of posing, I just point and shoot. It's a memory I want. Well, as I smile at him, he says again, "I'm vaiting." He wants me to move. He has one cappucino on a small tray, and he could easily go around me. But he wanted me to move. They are very aggressive in this hotel. I just laughed, and moved sideways.  



















Then sheep!












And we walked towards and into the Walled city of Jerusalem. Past the French Consulate. 





















Mamilla Shopping Mall from the Jaffa Gate entrance. Beautiful lavender and rosemary. Sharp contrast of old and new, in the same limestone. Imagine coming here from surrounding towns. The elegance and oppulence would be breath-taking.






















Walked around for a few hours. Sat for turkish coffee at a recommended fountain near the Church of Holy Sepulchre.





 Hookah.

Then a tour group of 50 came, very friendly, from Arkansas. Sat behind and up from us.

 I so appreciated only 12 of us walking through this city, having lunches sitting family style waiting for us. Air conditioned, cool buildings. Clean restrooms.

Boy don't I sound old.

 Loved sitting watching people.

 It is Orthodox Palm Sunday, so many carrying palms, or wearing yamulkahs, or in chadors, or not. 


















We found, Mike found, Samara for lunch.

My last chicken shishkeh and fresh fresh pita.

Parade marched by with drums and bag pipes.

We were told they were Syrians.

Emphasizes the diversity here in Jerusalem. 





















Then Mike took off. Walked around the Old City.

Had a moment when he was overlooking Kidron Valley, outside the walls, towards Gethsemane. Meditative. Then looked up towards Temple Mount (you can see Dome from there) and he saw what looked like a gun sticking out through the parapet aimed at him. He looked, he was sure.

He ducked behind a tree, waiting until others came, and he walked sideways away. And then back to hotel. Other than this, we have felt 100% safe here. Little kids walk around alone. 

I walked back through Mamilla Shopping Mall.















































And then through David's Village Artist Colony. 





Road Sign, even English doesn't help sometimes.











Soldiers on the road.
































Jewelry in hotel:
Tank has all the symbols of Jewish holidays.

















 Hotel door: scripture over door, and 2 door keys. One is Shabbat, you don't use electricity during Shabbat so you can ask for a metal key instead. 










Goodbye Blooming Gladiolas.










To the Romans, what three ancient wonders did Israel hold?
1. Sea where nothing floats
2. Day when no one works
3. Temple with no Statues

No comments:

Post a Comment