Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday April 27. Masada, Dead Sea


Masada. 
Float in Dead Sea. 
Miles and miles of rough desert. 
100 degrees, and it's April.

What a cruel trick the Dead Sea was... looking like an expanse of cool, clean water to profoundly thirsty, tired travelers when they approached it in this desert land. You touch it to your tongue and it burns. Swallow it and you die. 

Masada. 
What do I think? 
Men who were so strong in their faith they would rather die than give in to being slaves. 
I see the bravery in holding out for a year, 970 Jews verses 10,000 Roman soldiers. 
I see the strength of your convictions. 

But I can't wrap my head around a monument to those who took their own lives. Weren't the Jews slaves in Egypt, which led to God delivering them. And in Babylon. This is sounding judgemental. I have never been in their position. God willing I never will be. 

So I see the vast expanse of hot (100 today), arid desert. What a hard life. How verdent and comfortable in comparison is Jerusalem. It draws you to it. You long to return. 

To the world of the unseen, the spiritual, the holy, the everlasting.

Be Still and Know that I am God. Psalm 46

No comments:

Post a Comment