Friday, September 5, 2014

Why adventure? North Sutor hike

Who is there that doesn't love an adventure?
Why do I love travel so much?
Why aren't I as willing to try new experiences at home as when traveling?

Adventures, big fan.
Getting lost, not a fan.
Start out with a plan. Read up on it, map it out, figure even a Plan B perhaps.

Then you start out.
If you get lost, oh well, see what fun things there are in the spot you landed.
If the restaurant is terrible, oh well, there must be an ice cream store around the corner.
If it rains, oh well, it's a day for reading and Qwirkle.
If we have to wait in a long line, oh well, time to take a deep breath, recharge, enjoy the ones you are with.

Need to bring this outlook back with me to non-vaca life.

Today was an adventure. 3 1/2 mile walk, but up 750 feet.  That's a high hike for me.

But not high marks for signage, as it turned out.
We were off course at one point, at the highest point, but we squeezed through a fence (on hands and knees) after half a mile to rejoin the footpath.


Parked next to ferry from Nigg to Cromarty. 
Walked past this randy rooster with his gaggle of hens. 


Up we go. First half of walk is on a single path private road. 
You see North Sea Oil Rigs in the Firth for repair. 


Well look who's going up the hill also!

Realize Mike read me part of an article this morning, that there's a problem in England... home gardeners don't want to kill the pesky snails on their plants, so they toss them over the fence into their neighbors' yard. Then the neighbors toss them right back. It has become quite an issue, it seems. 

Love these problems.

I started "baa-ing" at the sheep, so they would turn look at me. Better photos then. 



Mike prefers to ignore me when I am baa-ing. Here's a fellow hiker, who worked on building some of the port structure below in the 1970's.  Surprisingly, Mike let me continue up the hill, baa-ing. 


I return to my sheep. Note these guys sit with their backs to the stunning views.


Not these guys. They are taking it all in. 


Slowly walking further up the hill. 



This mini-herd really liked my baa-ing. Look at all those faces turned towards me. 
Don't know why others are ignoring me...

Further up the road, we turn right. 


Cows! What a great walk!


The big black one stared at us the whole way down this path. That's her outlined at the top of the hill. 


Looking down the hill.
This is where we got lost. I didn't take photos, which is too bad as this was a spectacular view in all directions... expansive meadows and on to the Firth.
But we were looking for the path.

Remember, all who wander are not lost. (Tolkien)
I admit. We were both.
Wandering and Lost.


But we crawled through the fence ( on the right) and rejoined the path! YEAH!


Spectacular.
That little dot you see just below the tip of the opposite peninsula is a boat!


Looking back at the ferry pier. 


A sign we didn't follow.


Whew we made it! 
Remember, Mike has walked 5 1/2 miles of golf this morning. He was never out of breath. 

Do you see the sheep in this photo below? They are on top of the hill on the right (where we were.) On the very top. 
They are tiny specks in this photo. 
Adventure is exhilirating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment